How to Change Your Personal Information at a Arkansas DMV

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Those moving to the state of Arkansas or calling a new place their home having already lived there will want to update their address with the Arkansas DMV. Doing so is a good idea in case you ever lose your license, or to simply ensure your information is up-to-date.

At an Arkansas DMV, you may also use this opportunity to update your name. This could be a personal choice, after marriage, or for other reasons. Here, you’ll update your information and be re-issued an ID/license with your new name and info.

What do you need to do to change your address or name at the DMV in Arkansas? Keep reading to find out.

Name Change via Social Security Office & AK DMV

To legally change your name – you’ll need to do so through the Social Security Administration.

To confirm your name change at the SSA, you must provide proof of your name change. Only with the appropriate documents will your name change be associated with your Social Security Number. So, to complete the process you must submit to the SSA:

  • A completed Application for a Social Security Card
  • Proof of name change
    • Marriage certificate
    • Divorce Decree
    • Court documents
  • Proof of your identity
    • Driver’s license
    • State ID
    • U.S. Passport
  • Proof of Citizenship
    • Certificate of U.S. citizenship
    • Birth certificate
    • Certificate of Naturalization

You can then submit your updated information and paperwork at a local SSA office, or by mail. If you have questions – we recommend you get in touch with the SSA for further answers.

Now that your name change is done with the SSA – you’ll want to update this information reflected on your driver’s license. Here, you’ll go to a local AK DMV to get an updated license.

This process is the same as getting an ID, except you’ll provide the new information. You’ll provide your proof of name change, and social security number, and pay a fee.

Changing Your Address in Arkansas

Those moving to the state will have about 30 days to update their information. They’ll need to visit a local DMV office and provide the necessary documents + pay any appropriate fees.

Typically – items needed if you’re changing an address after moving to the state include:

  • Current out-of-state driver’s license
  • Proof of social security number (ie. social security card)
  • Birth certificate (or other document showing legal US presence)
  • A document (or two) showing your new address

You will pay about $40 to get a new license in Arkansas if coming from another state. You won’t need to do a driving test unless your previous license expired. You should complete this within about 30 days of moving to the state.

This is the prime time to register an out-of-state vehicle in Arkansas.

Now, for Arkansas residents updating their address – you’ve got three options:

  • Update your address within the state’s online portal
  • Email or mail your local DMV with a change of address form
  • Visit a local DMV and update your details

The address update costs about $10 to complete.

You can choose to get a new license issued with this updated information, though it’s not necessary. However, you’ll want to update your vehicle registration to reflect this new change using the online portal.

For More Information

If you need help processing your information or completing a form, we encourage you to find a DMV office in Arkansas nearest to you using our online directory. There, you can get hours of operation, contact info, and an understanding of what services are offered at the location.

For more info and guidance – be sure to check out some of our other Arkansas DMV guides!