How to Change Your Personal Information at a Illinois DMV

Florida License Renewal
Reading Time: 2 minutes

After moving, there are some things you must do right away. One of these things is to inform the appropriate agencies or departments of your change of address. Also, if you have a driving license, you must inform the Office of the Secretary of State Driver Services Department and Vehicle Services Department. During the notification process, you can change your address on the vehicle title and registration.

Changing your Address at the Illinois Driver Services

To change your address at the Illinois Driver Services, you must contact the office in person, by mail, or online with the information of your new address. You will be given the option to apply for a new driver’s license or state ID but it is not required. Here is a better understanding of what to do when you start the change of address process.

In Person

You may visit the Secretary of State’s office in your county and provide proof of your new address. You can provide a copy of your lease or deed to show your new address. At the office, you can apply for a new driver’s license or state ID if you choose to do so.

By Mail

Changing your address by mail will include more information than when the process is done in person. When writing the Secretary of State’s office, you must include this information in your letter:

  • Your name
  • IL driver’s license/ID card number
  • Your new address
  • Your old address

Send your letter to:

Driver Services Department

2701 S. Dirksen Parkway

Springfield, IL 62723


To complete a change of address online, visit the Secretary of State website and select Address change. During the process, you must provide:

  • Your driver’s license or state ID number
  • Social Security number
  • Your new address

There is a different process to change your name online if you fall into one of these categories:

  • Live in a city with less than 3,500 people and only have a P.O. Box
  • Your post office is out of state
  • Your permanent address is out-of-state

To change your address because of one or more of these reasons, the change of address forms will differ.

Changing your Address at the Illinois Vehicle Services

Similar to changing your address at the SOS office, the options to change your address for your vehicle registration and the title is the same. It can be done online, by mail, or in person.


To change your address on your vehicle records, visit the SOS website and select “Update your Vehicle Registration”. Now select one of the following:

  • To change your vehicle records address
    • Verified
    • Unverified
    • Address change and renewal
  • Provide the registration ID and Pin or vehicle information
  • Provide the new address

By Mail

Changing your address at the Illinois vehicle records by mail, write a letter including:

  • Your name
  • License plate number
  • Old address
  • New address

Mail the letter to:

Secretary of State

Vehicle Records Processing Division

License Correction Section

501 S. 2nd Street, Rm 624

Springfield, IL 62756

In Person

To change your address at a Secretary of State location, provide the necessary information when you visit the office. Call before you visit to verify the documents you will need to make the changes.