How to Get a Duplicate Vehicle Title in Washington, D.C.
You will file a District of Columbia title replacement application if something happened to your vehicle’s documentation. What could happen? A lot of things!
You’ll generally replace the title when it’s:
- Damaged beyond legibility
- Lost during a move
You can request and do a replacement in person, by mail, or online. Below, you’ll learn how to get a duplicate title in District of Columbia in a few, simple steps.
Getting a Duplicate (Replacement) Title in D.C.
To start: You’ll need to file the Certificate of Title / Temporary Tag Application (DMV-CTA-001).
Then, meet these requirements:
- Be either the vehicle owner, legal owner, representative
- Have a signed statement by the lienholder or entitled owner (e.g. Inheritance)
You will pay a $26 duplicate title fee and applicable taxes when you file this document (though
You may be asked to present these items when submitting your paperwork. We recommend bringing them along to avoid any issues – or if you have other business you’d like to take care of at the DMV:
- Your driver’s license or ID card
- Vehicle information like make, model, year, VIN, title number, etc.
- Different forms of payment in case one proves problematic
Now, you’ll complete one of the following to complete the title replacement.
Replacing a title in-person requires you to:
- Locate your local DC DMV
- Show proof of ID from each owner
- Provide your vehicle information
- Submit your form
- Pay the fees and taxes
Your District of Columbia title replacement request is processed on location. Congratulations, you now know how to do this in person – hopefully it’ll go quick and easy!
Rather not go to the DMV and, instead, do the process by mail?
- Complete the paperwork (listed above)
- Include the vehicle information
- Include a check or money order for the fees
- Complete photocopies of your ID
Send these documents to:
P.O. Box 90120
Washington, D.C. 20090
Your new title should arrive by mail in about a week or two.
Conveniently enough, you can do the title replacement online by doing the following:
- Visit the C. DMV services page
- Follow the on-screen prompts
- Input your information
- Pay your fees and taxes
You should receive your new documents in about a week or two. If they take longer, give your DMV a call to get an update on their status. In the meantime, print a copy of the receipt for record keeping.