How to Register a Car in Illinois
You’ll register a car and title in-person one of its IL SOS offices. This process includes bringing identification, filing the VSD 190 form, showing ID/insurance/ownership, and paying registration & license plate fees, and state taxes.
The registration process is quick-and-easy if you follow this guide.
Note: Need to renew your vehicle registration? Use our renewal guide.
Illinois Car Registration: Step-by-Step
You will have 20-day to register your vehicle after its purchase, inheritance, or gift.
Every vehicle – driven or not – requires auto insurance.
What you’ll need to collect/bring:
- Proof of vehicle ownership
- Proof of ID or IL License
- Proof of insurance
- Completed Odometer Disclosure Statement for Title Transfer (VSD 333)
- Signed by owner and buyer
- Completed Application for Vehicle Transaction (VSD 190)
- Delivered within 7-days if completed online
- Completed Tax Form RUT-50 Private Party Vehicle Tax Transaction
Electric vehicles have an incentive if you file the Electric Vehicle Registration Fee Reduction.
Registering a New Car
Dealerships will submit documents to the Secretary of State (SOS) office on your behalf.
- Get insurance
- Go to the DMV office
- Provide proofs, submit forms, and pay the registration
It’s important to get your bill of sale from the dealer as you’ll pay state taxes during registration. You will also want to note the mileage while filing your car’s title & registration. You’ll receive your new title and tag when you’re at the office else have a temporary one mailed if getting a vanity plate.
Registering a Used Car
Registering a used car has a similar process.
- Have the seller sign the title in your name
- Odometer Disclosure Statement for Title Transfer (VSD 333)
- Bring ID, vehicle title, and proof of insurance
- Tax Form RUT-50 Private Party Vehicle Tax Transaction
- Submit the Application for Vehicle Transaction (VSD 190)
- Pay the tax, registration, and plate fees
You will receive:
- A copy of the transaction
- License plate and registration tag
Congratulations! Your vehicle is registered for the road!
Illinois Registration Fees and Taxes
The registration fees vary but most cars include:
- Registration: $100 – $114
- Title: $95
…and local taxes.
Sales tax depends on your county and jurisdiction.