How to Correct or Replace a Vehicle Title in Illinois

Illinois Title Replacement
Reading Time: 2 minutes

It’s easy forgetting where you place the car’s title.

These delicate pieces of paper can become damaged quite easily, too. It’s not uncommon they’re stolen, either. If any of these are the case, then you need to go through the system to replace your Illinois vehicle title – in person at a DMV or by mail.

You’re welcome to request a duplicate title if:

  • It’s not 15-days from its issuance
  • It’s not 30-days from a renewal issuance

Let’s learn how it’s done.

Replacing an Illinois Vehicle Title: How To

As mentioned: You can replace a title in person at a local IL DMV location or by mail.

Both replacement methods require the Application for Vehicle Transaction(s) (VSD 190 Form). The form is available through a local office. Or, having one mailed to you.

You’ll pay a $95 duplicate title fee and local taxes for the replacement request.

Replacing/Duplicates In-Person

Replacing a title in person requires you to:

  1. Locate your local DMV office
  2. File and bring the Form VSD 190
    1. Fill every section
    2. Sign the document
    3. Include VIN and odometer reading
  3. Pay the fee (check, cash, card)

Replacing/Duplicates by Mail

Replacement and duplicate titles are available through the mail.


  • Proof of ID
  • Completed Form VSD 190
    • Fill every section
    • Sign the document
    • Include VIN and odometer reading
  • $95 payment (check or money order)

Send this information to:

Secretary of State

Vehicle Services Department

501 S. 2nd St., RM 014

Springfield, IL 62756

You may choose to pay $30 extra for an expedited title (before 12 P.M.). You can have this shipped to your location. Or, can pick up the expedited title at the Springfield SOS location.

Title Liens

Lien holders receive the Illinois titles if applicable. If there’s no lean, the title goes to the principal owner on the application or is listed under “Mail To”. You will include the name and address of the lienholder on the duplicate title application if there is one.

Removing a lienholder includes doing one of the following:

  1. Submit a lien clearance form
  2. Submit lien contract paid in full
  3. Submit a court order issuing a duplicate title without the line/lienholder

Title Updates/Errors

You should consider updating personal info when filing including an updated name or address. You can take this time to remove an owner’s name or add a lien, too.

File the Application for Vehicle Transaction(s) (VSD 190) as normal but with the updated information, applicable certificates (death, marriage, divorce), the reason for the change, and a $15 application fee.

Note: You will need a duplicate title during the registration renewal, too.