How to Register Motorcycles, Boats, and More in Michigan
The Michigan Secretary of State (SOS) oversees the registrations of motor vehicles in the state. Most people are aware of how to register a car, but not so many know how to registration other vehicles. Well, we have compiled the information you will need for other Michigan vehicle registrations. It will include motorcycles, boats, and others.
Michigan Motorcycle Registration
Depending on where you purchase your motorcycle, the registration process will vary. If you purchase your motorcycle from a dealership, the dealer will submit all the documents to the SOS. The copies given to you will be your proof of purchase until you receive the title and registration from the SOS in the mail.
Private Seller Purchase
Once you purchase your motorcycle from a private seller, it is your responsibility to register and title the motorcycle. You will have 15 days after purchase to register and change its title. To register it, you must submit:
- The completed and signed title
- Include the VIN and odometer reading
- Use an Odometer Mileage Statement form if no space is available to write the number
- Your Michigan motorcycle license
- Proof of Michigan insurance
- Pay Fees
Michigan Motorcycle Registration Fees and Taxes
The Michigan SOS will collect fees when you register your motorcycle. The fees will include:
- Motorcycle registration fee (usually for the duration you will register the motorcycle)
- Registration transfer fee: $8
- Late registration fee: $10
- Use tax fee: $6% of the purchase price
Michigan Boat Registration
At the Michigan SOS, you can apply for registration and title of your boat. To begin the process, visit the local SOS office and provide the following:
- A complete Application for Michigan Watercraft Title (Form WR-11L)
- If your boat was previously owned, submit:
- Current registration
- If you don’t have the registration, completed Bill of Sale (Form TR-207)
- The boat’s title in your name
- Proof of Michigan use tax paid
- None needed if ownership transferred from family member to another
- Title and registration fees
*ONLY BOATS MEASURING 20 FT. OR MORE AND WITH PERMANENT MOTORS SHOULD BE REGISTERED.
Michigan Boat Registration Fees
Here is a list of fees related to registration of a boat in Michigan:
- 21 ft but under 28 ft: $115
- 28 ft but under 35 ft: $168
- 35 ft but under 42 ft: $244
- 42 ft but under 50 ft: $280
- 50 ft and longer: $448
- $5 or
- $10 for instant title
Registration is valid for three years. You can apply online, in person, or by mail.
Other Vehicle Registrations in Michigan
The Michigan SOS will administer other vehicle registrations. So, if you have a moped or scooter, a trailer, RV or motorhome, and a snowmobile, you must contact the nearest SOS office to register and title it. The procedure to register and title these other vehicles are not different than registering a car. You must provide the necessary documents and pay each fee related to the type of vehicle. To get the appropriate fees, contact the nearest SOS office.