How to Transfer a Vehicle Title in Mississippi
Want to sell a vehicle? Buying one? Or, perhaps you’re gifting or inheriting it?
You’ll need to complete a title transfer to pass ownership if the vehicle.
The two parties exchange the title, file the appropriate paperwork, and pay any necessary fees. This process doesn’t take long given you’re prepared. Or, if both parties go to the DMV (recommended).
Below, you’ll learn how the Mississippi title transfer process works for private transactions.
Mississippi Title Transfer: Step-by-Step
It’s recommended that both parties go to the DMV as this clears any confusion and potential issues when passing ownership of the vehicle. However, you’re more than welcome to exchange the title on your own time and later visit the DMV to complete the process.
You will visit the Mississippi Department of Public Safety office (see our directory).
Here is what you’ll do to complete a title transfer in Mississippi (including the seller and buyer):
- Retrieve the vehicle’s title or request a duplicate title
- Buyers: You may need a lien release from the current owner
- Sellers: Provide a lien release to the buyer if needed
- Complete the Mississippi certificate of title – including:
- Full legal name and address of buyer and current owner
- Date of sale (month, day, and year)
- Vehicle price the buyer paid
- Signatures from both parties
- Submit the Application for Mississippi Title and License (78-002 form)
- Bring any necessary documents:
- Proof of identification
- Proof of MS residency
- Proof of MS auto insurance
- Pay the variable taxes and fees
- Title: $9
- Fees: $1+ (varies by location)
As a seller, you’ll need to add these to the process:
- Submitting a Bill of Sale if you cannot fill in the items on the title
- Submitting an Affidavit of Relationship if the buyer is a family member
You may also submit a Fast Track title application (78-026 form) and pay an extra $30 fee to get your vehicle’s title in 72 hours. With this, you can submit the document in person at a DMV or mail it to Mississippi Fast-Track Title Program, P.O. Box 22845, Jackson, MS 39225.
You should register your vehicle after titling it to avoid any complications. See our Mississippi vehicle registration guide to learn how the process is done. If you haven’t got it yet, do consider adding or dropping auto insurance. Or, shopping around for a new policy as you may find new discounts.