Missouri Title Replacement: How to Replace Your MO Title

Distracted Driving
Reading Time: 2 minutes

It’s probably been years since you needed your Missouri title in hand.

Somewhere along the way it may have been damaged beyond legibility. Or, maybe you simply can’t find it. By not having a Missouri title, you’re restricted from selling and trading. You also don’t have common collateral in a loan application!

Missouri requires you to replace a car title if lost, damaged, or stolen. You can get a duplicate title a few ways in Missouri and this article will share the options you have.

How to Replace or Get a Duplicate Missouri Title

You can replace your title in person at a local Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR) location. Mail-in and online options are available, too, which is a great option if you’re out of state.

You’ll need to file the Application for Missouri Title and License (DOR-108)

You will show your driver’s license or ID, then submit an $11 duplicate title fee when processing the replacement request. The entire process is quick when you have the paperwork and payment ready.

Other items you may need:

  • Driver’s license or ID card
  • License plate number
  • Vehicle’s VMO, make, model, and year
  • Vehicle’s registration proof of ownership
  • Any lien details

While these items aren’t entirely necessary, you may want to have them on hand in case you need to process other items at the DMV. These documents also prove handy if you’re making corrections.

Replacing/Duplicates In-Person

Replacing a title in person requires you to:

  1. Locate your local MO BMV office
  2. Bring and/or submit the title form
  3. Surrender the current title (if getting a duplicate)
  4. Pay the application fee

You may need to get a notary to witness your signature on the application depending on what you need to do. Locate a notary around you or check through the MO DMV if they have recommendations.

Replacing/Duplicates by Mail

Replacing and getting a duplicate title by mail is the same process. You will fill out the form and include a check/money order to the DMV for the application fee. If you have a lien, you’ll also include a Notice of Lien, Lien Release, or Authorization to Add/Remove Name From Title form.

Send your documents to:

Motor Vehicle Bureau

301 West High Street

Room 370

P.O. Box 100

Jefferson City, MO 65105

You’ll receive your new title in the mail a few days after it’s processed.

Making Corrections or Updating Your Information

It’s worth your while to consider updating personal information when filing for a replacement or duplicate title. You can do this in person at the DMV office while filing the title request.

You can use your time at the DMV to complete other items like getting a name/address change or transferring a title, too. It’s up to you! Might as well make the best use of your time, right?