How to Change Your Personal Information at a Virginia DMV?
Are you ready to make a change? Whether it’s your driver’s license, ID card, vehicle registration, or title certificate, the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) can help walk you through all the steps necessary to get your documents updated.
Updating your personal information at Virginia DMV is easy. You’ll need to have some essential documents ready, such as proof of your identity and residence. After you’ve gathered these documents, follow the steps outlined here:
Name Change at the Virginia DMV
To change your name on your DMV records and documents, you must visit a DMV customer service center and bring with you:
- A completed “Driver’s License and Identification Card Application” (DL-1P) requesting a name change or starting online.
- One of the proof documents is listed below:
o Marriage certificate (including same-sex marriage certificate).
NOTE: Civil union documents are unacceptable as evidence of a name change.
o Divorce decree if the decree states the change from married name to maiden name.
o Original or test copy of the court order granting the name change.
- You’re valid Virginia-issued driver’s license, learner’s permit, or photo identification card if you currently hold one. If you cannot present your Virginia driver’s license, learner’s permit, CDL, CDL instruction permit, or photo identification, then you must present one proof of identity from the primary document list. A list of documents on the primary document list is presented in Obtaining a Virginia Driver’s License or Identification (ID) Card (DMV 141).
- If you are applying for any Virginia-issued driver’s license or ID card for the first time, you must also present documents proving identity, residency, and legal presence. Information about documents that DMV will accept can be found in Obtaining a Virginia Driver’s License or Identification (ID) Card (DMV 141). , or you can use the interactive Document Guide.
If you currently hold a valid Virginia driver’s license or ID card, you must obtain a duplicate one once your name change has been processed.
Registration Name Change at the Virginia DMV
Let us help you get your registration updated. Virginia has made it very simple for you! The way you change the name on your vehicle registration is to update your personal information with the Virginia DMV while updating your driver’s license and vehicle title.
You must first process the change with the Social Security Administration (SSA) before you can change your name with the DMV. You will need the following documents:
- Form SS-5 Application for a Social Security Card
- One proof of Identity
- One proof of U.S citizenship
- The Official certificate of name change
NOTE: The SSA needs 72 hours to finalize the process and officially update your records. Wait three full days before heading over to your local DMV office.
How to Change Your Address
Use one of the methods listed below to change your address:
- Online – Change It Now
- Call DMV at (804) 497-7100
- Visit any DMV customer service center
- Complete and mail the Address Change Request Form (ISD-01) to:
o Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
o PO Box 27412
o Richmond, VA 23269
Changing Your Name on Your Driver’s License (Virginia)
If you need to change the name on your current driver’s license, do not stress it is very simple. Updating your name on your ID makes many other things simple: Bank accounts, loans, traveling, and more. To do this process, you are required to do this in person. You will need the following :
- Current VA driver’s license or unexpired US passport
Signed and Completed Form DL 1P Driver’s License and ID card Application
- Proof of name change
- Marriage Certificate
- Divorce Decree
- Court Document
- Payment of $20
Virginia DMV Payment Methods:
Cash, Check, Money Order, or Card (VISA/MasterCard/Discover)
Once you have all the required documents and payment ready, visit your nearest DMV Office to complete the process. You will be asked to fill out a form called “ISD-01,” which the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles uses as evidence that you are updating your name. After this, you will be issued with your new driver’s license or DMV ID card.
Updating your name on your VA driver’s license doesn’t have to be scary. It is a simple process that can be done in person, which is the preferred method. Be sure to bring all required documents and payment for the new ID card to save time and energy. After everything has been taken care of, you will receive an updated driver’s license reflecting your new name. Congratulations! You are now ready to hit the road with a driver’s license showing your updated information. Happy driving!
That’s it! Now that you know how to update your name on the VA driver’s license, you can confidently go through the steps and receive a new ID card quickly.