How to Change Your Personal Information at a Virginia DMV
We know there are always going to be life-changing events that may involve you having to change your legal name or address. It could be anywhere from being newly married, a new home, divorce or a court order. The first step you will need to take to start a name change is filling your new name with your Social Security office in Virginia to change your legal name. It can take up to 48 hours for your name change to become official in the government’s system.
After two days you can then start with changing your name on your driver’s license while requesting a Virginia car registration, so your documents that are car-related match your new identity. In Virginia, you have 30 days to update your information, or you could face penalties and fees if you are pulled over by an officer and your driver’s license or car registration does not match.
All you need to do is take a trip to your local DMV to update your personal information! If you need this in a hurry, you can have it expedited as well you will need to bring legal name change documents along with your ID.
Name Change at the Virginia DMV
To change your name on your DMV records and documents, you must visit a DMV customer service center and bring with you:
- A completed “Driver’s License and Identification Card Application” (DL-1P) requesting a change of name or start online.
- One of the proof documents listed below:
o Marriage certificate (including same-sex marriage certificate).
NOTE: Civil union documents are not acceptable as evidence of a name change.
o Divorce decree if the decree states the change from married name to maiden name.
o Original or test copy of the court order granting the name change.
- Your valid Virginia issued driver’s license, learner’s permit, or photo identification card if you currently hold one. If you cannot present your Virginia driver’s license, learner’s permit, CDL, CDL instruction permit or photo identification, then you must present one proof of identity from the primary document list. A list of documents on the primary document list is presented in Obtaining a Virginia Driver’s License or Identification (ID) Card (DMV 141).
- If you are applying for any Virginia issued driver’s license or ID card for the first time, you must also present documents proving identity, residency, and legal presence. Information about documents that DMV will accept can be found in Obtaining a Virginia Driver’s License or Identification (ID) Card (DMV 141). , or you can use the interactive Document Guide.
Registration Name Change at the Virginia DMV
Let us help you get your registration updated. Virginia has made it very simple for you! The way you change the name on your vehicle registration is to update your personal information with the Virginia DMV while updating your driver’s license and vehicle title.
You must first process the change with the Social Security Administration (SSA) before you can change your name with the DMV. You will need the following documents:
- Form SS-5 Application for a Social Security Card
- One proof of Identity
- One proof of U.S citizenship
- The Official certificate of name change
NOTE: The SSA needs 72 hours to finalize the process and officially update your records. Wait three full days before heading over to your local DMV office.
How to Change Your Address
Use one of the methods listed below to change your address:
- Online – Change It Now
- Call DMV at (804) 497-7100
- Visit any DMV customer service center
- Complete and mail the Address Change Request Form (ISD-01) to:
o Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
o PO Box 27412
o Richmond, VA 23269
Update Your Name on Your VA Driver’s License
If you need to change your name on your current driver’s license, do not stress it is very simple. Updating your name on your ID makes many other things simple: Bank accounts, loans, traveling and more. To do this process, you are required to do this in person. You will need the following :
- Current VA driver’s license or unexpired US passport
Signed and Completed Form DL 1P Driver’s License and ID card Application
- Proof of name change
- Marriage Certificate
- Divorce Decree
- Court Document
- Payment of $20
The Virginia DMV accepts:
- Money order
- American Express