How to Replace a Lost Title in New Mexico

pass a car
Reading Time: 2 minutes

You will file a New Mexico title replacement application if something happened to your document. This could include if your title was damaged beyond legibility. Or, if stolen or lost sometime along the way.

You’ll want to get the title in order if you ever plan to transfer ownership. This is your legal document showing you have ownership of the vehicle. Without it, you can’t sell it, donate it, or complete your vehicle registration or renewals – so make sure it’s safe!

If your title is nowhere to be found, then follow this guide on…

How to Replace or Get a Duplicate New Mexico Title

New Mexico requires you to replace a car title if lost, damaged, or stolen.

You can replace your title in-person at a local New Mexico Division of Motor Vehicles office/location. Or, process the same paperwork and submit it by mail.

You’ll need to file the Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title (MVD-10901).

Then, meet these requirements:

  • Be either the vehicle owner, legal owner, representative
  • Have a signed Power of Attorney

You will pay a fee (outlined on the form or provided at the DMV) when you file this document to get your duplicate New Mexico vehicle title.

Important note: You cannot submit highlighted documents to the MVD (they will reject them).

Other items you may need:

  • Driver’s license or ID card
  • License plate number
  • Vehicle’s VIN, make, model, and year
  • Vehicle’s registration proof of ownership
  • Any lien details and power of attorney (if applicable)

While these items aren’t entirely necessary, you may want to have them on-hand in case you need to process other items at the DMV. These documents also prove handy if you’re making corrections.

Replacing/Duplicates In-Person

Replacing a title in-person requires you to:

  1. Locate your local NM DMV
  2. Show proof of ID
  3. Submit your form
  4. Pay the application fee

Your New Mexico title replacement request is processed on location. The document will arrive by mail in about a week or two to the address listed on the application.

Replacing/Duplicates by Mail

Rather not go to the DMV and, instead, do the process by mail?

You will:

  • Complete the paperwork (listed above)
  • Include a check or money order to “Motor Vehicle Division”
  • Complete photocopies of your license and registration

These documents go to:

Motor Vehicle Division

P.O. Box 1028

Santa Fe, NM 87504

Your new title should arrive by mail in about a week or two.

Need Other Services at the NM DMV?

You can use your time at the DMV to update personal information or complete other actions like an NM title transfer. Use your time efficiently by planning before going. Our other OK DMV guides share the full details on how to complete these actions so your time at the DMV is frustration-free!