How to Register a Car in New York State
New York requires you to register a car and title in-person one of its NY DMV offices. This process includes bringing identification, filing the MV-82 form, showing ID/insurance/ownership, and paying registration & license plate fees, and state taxes.
The registration process is quick-and-easy if you follow this guide.
New York Car Registration: Step-by-Step
Vehicle registration depends if the car is new or used. You will have 30 days after its purchase to get it registered. Every vehicle – driven or not – requires insurance.
What you’ll need to collect/bring:
- Proof of vehicle ownership
- Proof of ID or NY License
- Proof of insurance (FS-20)
- Proof of vehicle inspection (if transferred)
- Completed Vehicle Registration/Title Application (MV-82)
The registration fees vary by vehicle age, type, and value, apply if you haven’t yet registered.
Registering a New Car
New cars bought through dealerships submit vehicle documentation to the NYSDMV.
- Get insurance
- Go to the DMV office
- Provide proofs, submit forms, and pay the registration
It’s important to get your bill of sale from the dealer as you’ll pay state taxes during registration. You will also want to note the mileage while filing your car’s title & registration.
Registering a Used Car
Registering a used car has a similar process. Individuals buying a used car must get a vehicle inspection when transferring a title.
- Have the seller sign the title in your name
- Both sign the Statement of Transaction Sales Tax Form (DTF-802)
- Bring ID, vehicle title, and proof of insurance (FS-20)
- Provide an applicable inspection certificate
- Submit the Vehicle Registration/Title Application (MV-82)
- Pay the tax, registration, and plate fees
You will receive:
- A copy of the transaction
- License plate and registration sticker
You’ll get the plate and tag on the spot, letting you roll out of the parking lot and back onto the roads.
About the Inspection
You will get a smog and car inspection every 12 months.
This inspection must be completed within 10 days of purchasing the car – you’ll receive a temporary sticker until it’s done.
Refer to the New York State Inspections page for all inspection-related details.
New York Registration Fees and Taxes
New York vehicle registration wholly depends on which county it’s registered.
Typical fees include:
- Title Fee: $50
- License Plate Fee: $25
Sales tax depends on your county and jurisdiction. You may need to pay an extra $32.50 if you operate an electric or 6-cylinder+ vehicle. This extra fee covers 2 years.
See the Passenger Vehicle Registration Fees, Use Taxes, and Supplemental Fees for more information.
Need to Renew Your Vehicle, Instead?
A car-renewal is almost identical to the registration process. Learn what you’ll do with our New York Car Renewal Guide.