NY Duplicate Title Guide: How to Replace a Lost Title
Forget about selling and trading a car without its title. You can’t use the title-less vehicle as collateral when applying for loans, either.
The point: You need to replace a lost title if it’s ever lost, damaged, or stolen.
- Enter your vehicle info on the NY DMV website
- Complete and mail in the Application for Duplicate Title (MV-902)
- Visit a local NY DMV, file the paperwork, and get the duplicate title
Let’s investigate what’s needed when doing one of these:
Replacing a Car’s Title in New York: What’s Needed
As mentioned: You can replace a title in-person at a local NY DMV location, file an Application for Duplicate Title (MV-902) and mail it in, or do this electronically through the NY DMV website.
You’ll submit a $20 duplicate title fee (in-person) when processing the request.
Other items you’ll need include:
- Driver’s license, ID card, or passport
- Title/Registration matches these addresses on file
- The vehicle’s title
- No outstanding liens or charges
You may call (518) 486-4714 for any questions directed at the Title Bureau.
The online replacement process is quick and easy – it’s the preferred method. You cannot get a duplicate title if it’s been processed within 15-days, though. Or, it has major changes like belonging to a deceased owner or an amended title certificate.
What you’ll do:
- Visit the NY DMV website
- Provide Id and title information
- Process your online payment
You should receive your title in the mail in about 2 – 3 business days.
Replacing a title in-person requires you to:
- Locate your local DMV office
- File and bring the Form MV-902
- Pay the fee (check, cash, card)
Replacing/Duplicates by Mail
Replacement and duplicate titles are available through the mail.
- Proof of ID
- Completed MV-902 form
- $20 payment (check or money order)
Send this information to:
New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 2750
Albany, NY 12220
You may also order this title by express mail (though costing extra):
Duplicate Title Certificates
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228
You should consider updating personal info when filing including an updated name or address. The state will mail an updated title within 90-days of these changes. You’ll need to provide valid proof of ID.
You will then file the MV-902 application and pay the replacement title fee as normal.