Oklahoma License Renewal: Step-by-Step
The Oklahoma Department of Public Safety (DPS) oversees the license renewal process. Unlike other states, OK doesn’t send a renewal notice unless you opt-in for the alert and mailer. So, it’s important you pay attention to its expiration!
Your license is valid for 4 years and expires on the last day of the expiration month.
Drivers can renew their license up to 1 year before the expiration. You can renew up to 3 years after the expiration but will need to pass the vision, written, and road test again before it’s approved.
You can renew your Oklahoma driver’s license in person at a local DMV. The following shares a quick and easy guide to renewing your driver’s license in Oklahoma.
How to Renew Your OK Driver’s License
A valid OK driver’s license is required if you drive on state roads and highways. The renewal process is one of the easiest in the U.S. This process shouldn’t take long if you have documents ready.
Here are the steps for renewing a license:
- Locate your nearest OK DMV station
- Show your identification
- Primary (e.g. birth certificate)
- Secondary (e.g. social security card)
- Non-U.S. Citizen: Proof of legal presence
- Pass applicable tests if your license expired (3+ years):
- Road skills
- Pay your license $38.50 renewal taxes and fees
That’s it! Congratulations!
Renewing by Mail (Out-of-State Residents)
Military members and out-of-state residents do have an option to renew by mail. The renewal period opens 1 year in advance and requires a selection of personal and vehicle documentation. You cannot renew by mail if your previous renewal was done by mail, though.
You will send:
- A letter including your name, date of birth, license #, address, and mailing address
- Proof of ID like birth certificate, military ID, driver’s license, SSN, health insurance card
- A $38.50 check addressed to the “Department of Public Safety”
This information is sent to:
Department of Public Safety
Driver License Services (Renewal by Mail)
P.O. Box 11415
Oklahoma City, OK 73136
Find an Oklahoma Department of Public Safety Office
Have questions about renewing your OK license or got other inquiries about driving in Oklahoma? Browse more OK DMV topics or use our OK DMV Directory to find an office near you!