Other Massachusetts Registrations: Motorcycles, Boats, and More

Reading Time: 3 minutes

A boat is a thrilling prospect with Massachusetts’s vast waterways and ocean access. Motorcycles offer alternative transportation for thrill-seekers. Though, sometimes you need to clear space with salvaged vehicles or need a rebuilt title after a major accident.

Massachusetts’s RMV handles your alternative vehicle registration. This is what you need to know.

Massachusetts Motorcycle Registration

Motorcycles follow a similar process as car registration, requiring registration within 30 days of residency and ownership. Bikers require a Massachusetts Motorcycle License. You will also need a certified inspection at least seven days after its registration.

Registering a new motorcycle or transferring the title includes doing the following:

  1. Have your motorcycle license
  2. Have Massachusetts motorcycle insurance
  3. Complete, sign, and submit an Application for Registration and Title (RMV-1)
  4. Provide your proofs:
    1. Certificate of title
    2. Title with dealer re-assignment
    3. Lien
    4. Bill of sale
    5. Odometer disclosure (if applicable)
  5. Pay the $20 registration, 6.25% sales tax, and any other fees

Dealerships will provide the state with the cycle’s title. Else, complete a title transfer, create a bill of sale, and pay application fees when registering the motorcycle. Otherwise, you’ll need to request the RMV-1 form, have motorcycle insurance, and pay the appropriate fees when registering.

Massachusetts Boat Registration

Massachusetts has plenty of waterways and oceans to explore. So, owning a boat makes it a wonderful opportunity to get out and see what the state has to offer!

Smaller boating vessels are typically exempt from titles in Massachusetts if used in private lakes, not motor-powered, or exceed 16ft in length. This means your canoes, kayaks, and rowing boats are fair game for an outing in the state’s waterways.

Larger, motor-powered boats require title registration within 20 days of ownership. Usually, these boats fall under the category of being 14ft or larger and/or designed to have a motor.

Will you need to ensure the boat has a valid hull identification (HIN) before titling/registration? If it doesn’t, you’ll need to schedule an inspection and receive an inspection certificate first.

The title/registration takes place at the recreational vehicle office:

  1. Submit a Registration and Titling Application (ELE 1)
  2. Submit proofs:
    1. Boat title
    2. Pencil tracing of the HIN
    3. Bill of sale
    4. Sales tax receipt or exemption form
  3. Submit a statement of origin if the boat is:
    1. New
    2. 14ft or longer
  4. Pay the title and registration fees:
    1. 14ft or less: $44
    2. 16ft to 26ft: $66
    3. 26ft to 40ft: $88
    4. 40ft and higher: $110
    5. Title: $27.50

Do note that boating includes age requirements. You may also need to complete a boating education course before taking it out, too. See the Boat and Recreational Safety Bureau’s page for full details.

Massachusetts Salvaged Vehicle Registration

Those are having experienced an unfortunate accident totaling their car must apply for a salvage title. The insurance company may provide these services, too, usually by filing a total loss claim. In the instance of the insurance company, they may transfer the vehicle ownership and pay off the difference.

Requirements to apply for a salvaged title include the following:

  • You’ve retained the ownership
  • The insurance company claimed it as a total loss
  • It’s safe to operate
  • You hold an active registration

You’ll have up to 10 days to complete the salvage title application from the date your insurance deemed it a total loss. You can do this in person or by mail. We recommend going to your local MA RMV in case you need to complete other DMV-related tasks.

What’s next?

  1. File the RMV-1 application
  2. Show proof of ownership and applicable lien satisfaction
  3. Show proof of its current (active) registration
  4. Provide proof of your insurance provider’s appraisal
  5. Pay the $75 salvaged title fee

Rebuilt/reconstructed titles are available upon showing the vehicle is up-to-standards for Massachusetts roadways. Return to the DMV location bringing proof of ownership, salvage inspection certificate, salvage repairable title, and RMV-1 form. You’ll pay a $50 title fee. You’ll complete this if you’re salvaging the vehicle for parts, too.