How to Register Motorcycles, Boats, and More in Washington State?

Other North Carolina Vehicle Registration Guide
Reading Time: 3 minutes

To register your motorcycles, boats and other vehicles, you must contact the Washington Department of Licensing (DOL). You must provide your documents that relate to ownership. In addition to registration, you should apply for a title at the DOL. The registration and titling must be done soon after you purchase or inherited any of these objects.

Washington Motorcycle Registration

You must register your motorcycle within 30 days of purchasing. The registration process will vary if the motorcycle was purchased from a dealership or a private seller. Also, the cost of the registration fee will vary because of its model, year, and weight.

Purchasing from Dealerships

If you bought a new or used motorcycle from a dealership, the dealer would submit the documents to the DOL. You will receive copies of the documents from the dealer as your proof of purchase. The dealer will also provide temporary license plates until you receive valid plates from DOL.

Purchasing from a Private Owner

When you buy from a private owner, you are responsible for registering and titling your motorcycle. It must be done within 15 days after you buy your used or new motorcycle. You can submit the documents in person or by mail. The documents to submit are:

Washington Motorcycle Title & Registration Fees

You will be required to pay to register and title your motorcycle. The cost of registration will vary because of:

  • Model
  • Year
  • Weight
  • County of residence

The cost you will pay is:

  • License fee: $30
  • Service fee: $5
  • License plate
    • Original: $4
    • Replacement: $14.75
  • Application fee: $15
  • Filing fee
    • Registration: $3
    • Title with registration: $7
  • Plate transfer fee: $10
  • Replacement registration card fee: $1.25 (plus filing and service fee)
  • Sales/used tax: charge according to Washington county residence

Washington Boat Registration

In Washington, you are required to register and title all motor and sail-powered vessels. You have within 15 days of purchasing your vessel to register and title it. If you moved into the state to reside, you have within 60 days to do the same.

To title your boat at the Washington DOL, you must provide:

  • A completed Vessel Title Application
  • Proof of ownership
    • New boats: Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin
    • Used boats from Washington: Certificate of title assigned in your name
    • Out-of-state: out-of-state title and registration in your name
  • Proof of paid sales tax or used tax
  • Application and title fees

You can submit your application in person or by mail. The mailing address is on the application form.

Washington Boat Title & Registration Fees

Unlike a motorcycle, a boat title and registration are more extensive. Here are the fees that relate to titling and registration:

  • Original/renewal vessel registration: $10.50
    • Direct vessel and invasive species removal fee: $5
    • Annual derelict vessel removal surcharge: $1
    • Registration filing fee: $3
    • Registration renewal service fee: $5
  • Boat title
    • Title application fee: $15
    • Title filing fee: $4
    • Title transfer service fee: $12
  • In-person application agent fee non-title transaction: $5
  • Sales/use tax: varies by county

Other Vehicle Registrations

Other vehicles must be registered if they go on roads or highways. For example, All-Terrain Vehicle (ATVs), snowmobiles, trailers, and recreational vehicles (RV) and motorhomes. To register each, you must submit the necessary documents.

ATV Registration

To register an ATV, you must submit:

Snowmobile Registration

  • Signed over title
  • Bill of sale or manufacturer’s certificate of origin
  • Pay Fees

Trailer Registration

  • Signed over title
  • Bill of sale or manufacturer’s certificate of origin
  • Pay Fees

RV and Motorhomes

  • Signed over title
  • Bill of sale or manufacturer’s certificate of origin
  • Pay Fees

If you purchase any of these vehicles from a dealership, all the documents will be sent to the DOL by the dealer.


When registering an ATV, snowmobile, trailer or RV/motorhome with the DOL, you must submit the necessary documents, such as titles, bills of sale and inspection receipts. If you purchase from a dealer, all documents will be sent to the DOL by the dealership. Make sure to pay any fees associated with registration in order for your vehicle to be legal on the roads. Contact your local DOL office for more information if you have any questions. Thank you for using DMVConnect! We hope this has helped make the registration process easier. Have a great day!