Utah Title Replacement: A Duplicate UT Car Title Guide

Reading Time: 2 minutes

You will file a Utah title replacement application if something happened to your document. This could include if your title was damaged beyond legibility. Or, if it were stolen or lost sometime along the way.

You’ll want to get the title in order if you ever plan to transfer ownership. This is your legal document showing you have ownership of the vehicle. Without it, you can’t sell it, donate it, or complete your vehicle registration or renewals – so make sure it’s safe!

If your title is nowhere to be found, then follow this guide on…

How to Replace or Get a Duplicate Utah Title

Utah requires you replace a car title if lost, damaged, or stolen. You can replace your title in-person at a local Utah Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office/location. Or, you can submit your duplicate title application by mail if you choose to avoid a trip to the DMV.

You’ll need to file the Application for Utah Duplicate Title (TC-123) and meet these requirements:

  • Have the title signed by the owner
  • Fill in section 1 if your mailing address is different than what’s on the title

You will pay a $6 fee when you file this document.

Other items you may need:

  • Driver’s license or ID card
  • License plate number
  • Vehicle’s VIN, make, model, and year
  • Vehicle’s registration proof of ownership
  • Any lien details and power of attorney (if applicable)

While these items aren’t entirely necessary, you may want to have them on-hand in case you need to process other items at the DMV. These documents also prove handy if you’re making corrections.

Replacing/Duplicates In-Person

Replacing a title in-person requires you to:

  1. Locate your local UT DMV
    1. Check if your office handles titling (some don’t)
  2. Show proof of ID
  3. Submit your form
    1. May require permission from the lienholder
  4. Pay the application fee

Your Utah title replacement request is processed on location. The document will arrive by mail in about a week to the address listed on the application.

Replacing/Duplicates by Mail

Rather not go to the DMV and, instead, do the process by mail?

You will file the form listed above, write a check or money order for the fees, and send your documents to the Utah DMV.

These documents go to:

Utah Division of Motor Vehicles

Mail and Correspondence

P.O. Box 30412

Salt Lake City, UT 84130

You should receive your new title in the mail within a week.

Need Other Services at the OK DMV?

You can use your time at the DMV to update personal information or complete other actions like an OK title transfer. Use your time efficiently by planning before going. Our other OK DMV guides share the full details on how to complete these actions so your time at the DMV is frustration-free!