How to Duplicate or Replace a Title in Virginia

Your Virginia car’s title is required if you plan to continue driving. The title is necessary if you plan to sell, gift, or donate the vehicle. Or, if you’d like to use the vehicle as part of the collateral for a loan, too.

Yet, these flimsy pieces of paper can become lost, damaged, or stolen. You’ll need a VA title replacement if you plan to do anything with the car. This is done by getting a duplicate title.

Duplicate titles are available:

  • Online
  • In-person

The following helps you understand what documents and steps to take when getting your title.

How to Get a Duplicate Virginia Car Title

Online renewal is the fastest and easiest way to get a replacement title. In-person duplicates are available at your local DMV (click to find one). Replacing the title requires you file an Application for Supplemental and Transfer Liens or Replacement and Substitute Title (VSA 66) in-person.

You’ll pay a $15 replacement fee for the request at both locations.

Replacing/Duplicates In-Person

The VA DMV prefers you process title replacements online. But, in-person options are available and won’t take long. The process has you doing the following:

  1. Locate your local DMV office
  2. File and bring the VSA 66 application
    1. SSN
    2. Lien information (if applicable)
  3. Bring your registration information
    1. Plus: License or ID
    2. Or: Court order
  4. Pay the fee and taxes (check, cash, card)

The clerk will verify your information, process the payment, and provide a replacement title. You can use this trip to the DMV to fix title errors, too.

Replacing/Duplicating Online

Visit the VA DMV’s PIN website and provide your customer # from your driver’s license or ID. You’ll confirm your personal details, input your PIN, and pay the $15 replacement fee. You should receive your duplicate title within a few business days.

Updating Your Title or Fixing Errors

You should attempt to keep your information up-to-date at all times since the VA DMV will need current information on file to process transactions like a registration renewal and others.

You will file an Application for Supplemental and Transfer Liens or Replacement and Substitute Title (VSA 66) to modify the name on the title. You will bring the legal documents for the name change such as a marriage/divorce document or court order. Pay the $15 and your information is updated.

To change the title’s address on file, submit an Address Change Notification (ISD 01) and pay the $15 fee. With your information updated, you can go about with whatever plans you had in mind.