How to Replace a Lost Title in Wyoming

Learn to Drive
Reading Time: 2 minutes

You will file a Wyoming title replacement application if something happened to your document. This could include if your title was damaged beyond legibility. Or, if it was stolen or lost at some time.

You’ll want to get the title in order if you ever plan to transfer ownership. This is your legal document showing you have ownership of the vehicle. Without it, you can’t sell it, donate it, or complete your vehicle registration or renewals – so make sure it’s safe!

If your title is nowhere to be found, then follow this guide on…

How to Get a Duplicate Wyoming Title (Or Replace It)

Wyoming requires you to replace a car title if lost, damaged, or stolen. You can replace your title in person at a local Wyoming Department of Transportation (DOT) office/location. Or, you can submit your duplicate title application by mail if you choose to avoid a trip to the DMV.

Note: Each Wyoming county is different in how they handle the title transfer process. Likewise, some offer online services while others do not. Check with your local DOT office to get the specifics.

You’ll need to file the Duplicate Certificate of Title Application & Affidavit (202-022) and pay a $15 duplicate title fee when conducting the transaction.

Other items you may need:

  • Driver’s license or ID card
  • License plate number
  • Vehicle’s VIN, make, model, and year
  • Vehicle’s registration proof of ownership
  • Any lien details and power of attorney (if applicable)

While these items aren’t entirely necessary, you may want to have them on hand in case you need to process other items at the DMV. These documents also prove handy if you’re making corrections.

Replacing/Duplicates In-Person

Replacing a title in person requires you to:

  1. Locate your local WY DMV
  2. Submit a signed/notarized Form 202-022 application
  3. Provide proof of identification
  4. Show your current registration and vehicle information
  5. Pay the $15 duplicate title fee

Your Wyoming title replacement request is processed on location. The document will arrive by mail in about a week or two at the address listed on the application.

Replacing/Duplicates by Mail

Rather not go to the DMV and do the process by mail instead?

You will fill out the form listed above, write a check or money order for the fees, and send your documents to the Wyoming DOT listed on the 202-022 form.

Need Other Services at the OK DMV?

You can use your time at the DMV to update personal information or complete other actions like an OK title transfer. Use your time efficiently by planning before going. Our other OK DMV guides share the full details on how to complete these actions so your time at the DMV is frustration-free!