Other Vehicle Registrations: Registering Other Vehicle Types

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Your state has a bit of everything for everyone if they’re willing to register other vehicle types. One can enjoy a fun morning on the lake by boating. Or, take a trek through the wilderness during the afternoon by off-road vehicles. The roadways can provide scenic beauty for motorcyclists, too!

Sometimes you undertake a fixer-upper project, restoring old cars. Salvaged vehicles may be your business of pleasure. Whatever’s your preference, you’ll need title & registration just the same as you would a car or truck.

This is what you need to know about other vehicle titles & registration.

Motorcycle Registration

Motorcycles follow a mainly similar process as vehicle registrations. You typically must register the vehicle within the month to prove ownership. From there, a trip to a local DMV will quickly have you on your way.

Registering a motorcycle typically includes:

  1. Complete an Application for Title or Registration
  2. Have your motorcycle license and inspection
  3. Complete verification of vehicle form
  4. Pay the registration plus any taxes, and fees

Dealerships will provide the state with the cycle’s title. Else, complete a title transfer, create a bill of sale, and pay application fees when registering the motorcycle. Out-of-state motorcyclist will provide their title & registration during this process, then follow the same steps.

Check with your state DMV, online fee calculator, or our state-level guides to see your estimated fees, taxes, and forms when registering a motorcycle in your state.

For Mopeds & Scooters

If it has 2-3 wheels, can’t go faster than 30 mph, automatic transmission, and electric motor then most states recognize the cycle as a moped. You’ll still need a cycle license to legally drive. And, you’ll need to register the moped with the DMV.

Check with your local DMV for the moped registration form. This is largely the same as the motorcycle form but with a few different items to check off.

Boat Registration

A lot of states offer a boater’s dream with its many lakes, waterways, and iconic coasts. Those wanting to putter around on the waterways will need to register their boat. This includes any motor-driven boats, commercial vessels, and sailing boats over 8ft in length.

Motor-powered boats typically require registration whereas smaller boats don’t.

What you need to register a boat:

  1. Complete and submit the title/registration form for your state
  2. Complete and submit forms showing your ownership
  3. Complete and submit forms documenting the vessel
  4. Submit a bill of sale
  5. Pay the registration fees

Fees typically range from $20 – $50+ in a lot of states (for standard-size vessels). Refer to our state-level “other vehicle registrations” guides for a complete breakdown of the forms, fees, and taxes you may pay when registering a boat in your state.

Salvaged Vehicle Registration

Those having experienced an unfortunate accident, totaling their car, must apply for a salvage certificate and a few other items. The insurance company may provide these services, too.

To get a salvaged certificate (this form’s name may be different in your state):

  1. Complete an application for salvage title
  2. Provide proof of ownership, bill of sale, odometer disclosure, and license plate
  3. Pay the salvage certificate fee

You typically need to get a salvaged vehicle inspected if you plan to restore and drive it. You will follow a similar car registration process for salvaged and junked vehicles. Bring the salvage title application with you during this process.