Title Replacement: Replacing a Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Title

Reading Time: 2 minutes

You will file a title replacement application if something happened to your document. This could include if your title was damaged beyond legibility. Or, if it were stolen or lost. Either way, you’ll want to get the title in order if you ever need to prove ownership or plan to transfer ownership.

Your title is the legal document showing you have ownership of the vehicle. Without it, you can’t sell it, donate it, or complete your vehicle registration or renewals – so make sure it’s safe!

The Title Replacement Process: An Overview

You can replace your title in-person at a DMV office/location. Or, some states let you replace the title through mail-in and other options. We recommend either checking with your local DMV or visit our state-level title replacement guides to understand your options.

Most states will have you file a duplicate title application.

The name of this document is different for almost every state. But if you say you need a title replacement form the agent will know what you’re talking about.

Other items you may need:

  • Driver’s license or ID card
  • License plate number
  • Vehicle’s VIN, make, model, and year
  • Vehicle’s registration proof of ownership
  • Any lien details and power of attorney (if applicable)

While these items aren’t entirely necessary, you may want to have them on-hand in case you need to process other items at the DMV. These documents also prove handy if you’re making corrections.

Replacing a title in-person requires you to:

  1. Locate your local DMV
    1. Need to find one? Use our DMV office finder!
  2. Submit a sign and/or notarized duplicate title form
  3. Provide proof of identification and residency
  4. Show your current registration and vehicle information
  5. Pay any applicable fees

If you prefer to avoid the DMV, check if the form is available online, print it, and mail documents/payment to the address listed on the form. Else, as noted, talk with your local DMV reps or use our guides by choosing your state.