How to Replace a Title in Alaska: A Duplicate Title Guide

automatic fails on driving test
Reading Time: 2 minutes

You will file an Alaska title replacement application if something happened to your document. This could include if your title was damaged beyond legibility. Or, if stolen or lost sometime along the way.

You’ll want to get the title in order if you ever plan to transfer ownership. This is your legal document showing you have ownership of the vehicle. Without it, you can’t sell it, donate it, or complete your vehicle registration or renewals – so make sure it’s safe!

If your title is nowhere to be found, then follow this guide on…

How to Replace or Get a Duplicate Alaska Title

Alaska requires you to replace a car title if lost, damaged, or stolen.

You can replace your title in person at a local Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles office/location. Or, process the same paperwork and submit it by mail.

You’ll need to file the Application for Duplicate Title (809) form.

Then, meet these requirements:

  • Be either the vehicle owner, legal owner, representative
  • Have a signed Power of Attorney or lien release

You will pay the $15 duplication fee when filing to get your duplicate Alaska vehicle title.

Other items you may need:

  • Driver’s license or ID card
  • License plate number
  • Vehicle’s VIN, make, model, and year
  • Vehicle’s registration proof of ownership
  • Any lien details and power of attorney (if applicable)

While these items aren’t entirely necessary, you may want to have them on hand in case you need to process other items at the DMV. These documents also prove handy if you’re making corrections.

Replacing/Duplicates In-Person

Replacing a title in person requires you to:

  1. Locate your local AK DMV
  2. Show proof of ID
  3. Submit your form
  4. Pay the application fee

Your Alaska title replacement request is processed on location. The document will arrive by mail in about a week or two to the address listed on the application.

Replacing/Duplicates by Mail

Rather not go to the DMV and, instead, do the process by mail?

You will:

  • Complete the paperwork (listed above) and notarized
  • Include a check or money order to the DMV
  • Provide any applicable vehicle documents

These documents go to:

State of Alaska

Division of Motor Vehicles


1300 W. Benson Blvd

Anchorage, AK 99503

Your new title should arrive by mail in about a week or two.

Need Other Services at the AK DMV?

You can use your time at the DMV to update personal information or complete other actions like an AK title transfer. Use your time efficiently by planning before going. Our other DMV guides share the full details on how to complete these actions so your time at the DMV is frustration-free!