Alabama Name & Address Change

Florida License Renewal
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Once you legally complete a name change, you must inform the different government departments. The first place to inform is the Social Security Administration (SSA). The next should be the Alabama Department of Public Safety (DPS). The DPS issues state ID or driver’s license. The last place should be your post office so that you can receive your mail on time.

Name Change at the SSA

To confirm your name change at the SSA, you must provide proof of your name change. Only with the appropriate documents will your name change be associated with your Social Security Number. So, to complete the process you must submit to the SSA:

  • A completed Application for a Social Security Card
  • Proof of name change
    • Marriage certificate
    • Divorce Decree
    • Court documents
  • Proof of your identity
  • Proof of Citizenship
    • Certificate of U.S. citizenship
    • Birth certificate
    • Certificate of Naturalization

You can submit your documents in person or by mail. Contact your county SSA office for the address.

Name Change at the Alabama DPS

The Alabama DPS will only issue a new driver’s license or state ID if your name change was done legally. Once proof is provided, the name change application must be made in person.

To begin the process, visit the DPS office and submit:

  • Your current Alabama driver’s license or REAL ID
  • Social Security card with your name
  • Proof of name change
    • Marriage certificate
    • Divorce Decree
    • Court documents
  • Pay Fee

The Alabama DPS will issue a temporary ID. You will receive your new ID in the mail with your name change.

Name Change for Vehicle Title & Registration

The Alabama DPS will also process a name change for a vehicle title and registration. To get a title and registration with your name change, submit:

  • Your driver’s license with a new name
  • Proof of name change
    • Marriage certificate
    • Divorce Decree
    • Court documents
  • Registration documents
  • Certificate of title
  • Pay Fee

Alabama Name Change Fees

The Alabama DPS will charge a fee based on the document you request. The fees are:

  • Driver’s license: $31.25
  • State ID: $31.25
  • Vehicle certificate of title: $15

You may pay the fee with cash or money orders. Make your money order payable to “Driver License Division.”

Change Address at the Alabama MVD

If you change address, you have up to 30 days to notify the Alabama MVD. You can do this by mail or in person. To submit the information by mail, provide:

  • Your full name
  • Driver’s license or state ID card number
  • Your new address

You mail the information to:

Driver License Division

P.O. Box 1471

Montgomery, AL 36104

Change Address for Car Title & Registration

When you inform the Alabama MVD about your address change, you can apply for a duplicate certificate of title. You can do so by mail or in person. Submit:

Send your request to:

Alabama Department of Revenue

Motor Vehicle Division – Title Section

P.O. Box 327640

Montgomery, AL 36132

Make your check or money order payable to “The Alabama Department of Revenue.”

All in all, it is important for Alabamians to be aware of the new policy for Alabama name and address change. Being prepared and following the regulations set out by the state can make this process much easier. If you are currently living in Alabama or moving here soon, make sure to be informed on the requirements that must be fulfilled before submitting your application.