How to Replace a Lost Title in New Hampshire?

A newer Harley Davidson motorcycle
Reading Time: 2 minutes

If something happens to your document, you will file a New Hampshire title replacement application. This could include if your title was damaged beyond legibility. Or, if it were stolen or lost sometime along the way.

If you ever plan to transfer ownership, you’ll want to get the title in order. This is your legal document showing you have ownership of the vehicle. Without it, you can’t sell, donate, or complete your vehicle registration or renewals – so make sure it’s safe!

If your title is nowhere to be found, then follow this guide on…

How to Get a Duplicate New Hampshire Title?

New Hampshire requires you to replace a car title if lost, damaged, or stolen.

You can replace your title in person at a local New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles office/location. Or, process the same paperwork and submit it by mail.

You’ll need to file the Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title (TDMV 18) and meet these requirements:

  • Have the title signed by the owner or joint owner
  • Provide license # details of every owner
  • Fill in the section if your mailing address is different

You will pay a $25 fee when you file this document to get your duplicate New Hampshire vehicle title.

Other items you may need:

  • Driver’s license or ID card
  • License plate number
  • Vehicle’s VIN, make, model, and year
  • Vehicle’s registration proof of ownership
  • Any lien details and power of attorney (if applicable)

While these items aren’t entirely necessary, you may want to have them on hand in case you need to process other items at the DMV. These documents also prove handy if you’re making corrections.

Replacing/Duplicates In-Person

Replacing a title in person requires you to:

  1. Locate your local NH DMV
  2. Show proof of ID
  3. Submit your form
  4. Pay the application fee

Your New Hampshire title replacement request is processed on location. The document will arrive by mail in about a week to the address listed on the application.

Replacing/Duplicates by Mail

Rather not go to the DMV and do the process by mail?

You will:

  • Complete the paperwork (listed above)
  • Include a check or money order ($25) to the NH DMV

These documents go to:

NH Department of Safety

DMV – Title Bureau

23 Hazen Drive

Concord, NH 03305

Your new title should arrive by mail in about a week.

Need Other Services at the NH DMV?

You can use your time at the DMV to update personal information or complete other actions like an NH title transfer. Use your time efficiently by planning before going. Our other OK DMV guides share the full details on how to complete these actions so your time at the DMV is frustration-free.


Replacing or getting a duplicate of your NH title is easy in person at the DMV. You’ll need all the necessary paperwork and $25 to complete the process. If you don’t want to go in person, you can also do it by mail. Just include a check, money order, or cashier’s check for $25 with the documents and wait for your new title to arrive. Lastly, it’s essential to plan before visiting the DMV if you need other services. Our guides can provide helpful information so you get everything done efficiently and accurately during your visit.