How to Update Your Wyoming DMV Information on File

Change of Address
Reading Time: 3 minutes

Changing your personal information at a Wyoming DMV is one of the quickest and easiest ways to update your WY driving records. Given you have personal documents ready and a bit of free time, you shouldn’t run into any snags when updating your name or changing your address.

Below, you’ll learn the steps, requirements, and fees for doing both of these actions.

How to Update Your Name

You should update your name with the Social Security Administration (find a local SSA office) before changing it at the DMV. Changing your name at the SSA will reflect on many other important documents, making the ordeal easy to deal with.

You will:

  1. File an Application for a Social Security Card (SS-5)
  2. Show proof of:
    1. Name change
    2. S. presence
    3. Identification
  3. Send or deliver the documents

The identification documents must be originals or certified copies. Bring these documents and form to your local Social Security office. Or, mail them.

You should receive your new social security card in about 2 weeks. With this in hand, you should visit your local WY DMV or third-party office as soon as you can to update your information.

To change your name at a Wyoming BMV office you will:

  1. Provide proof of identification
    1. WY driver’s license
    2. WY ID card
    3. Passport
    4. W-2
  2. Proof of Social Security number
  3. Proof of U.S. legal presence
  4. Show proof of name change*:
    1. Marriage cert or license
    2. Divorce Decree
    3. Court order
    4. Citizenship/naturalization cert
  5. Confirm and sign the documents
  6. Pay the fees:
    1. License: $30
    2. ID card: $10

*These items should be the originals or certified copies

The DMV will confirm your name change by contacting the Social Security Administration (SSA) if you chose to do so. Else, they’ll process your information and send the new information. The changes only reflect on your record – you will need to request duplicates if you need physical proofs.

Important: Update Your Title and Registration

Changing your name at the DMV office does not update your vehicle records. You should update your title and registration if you want to keep these items up-to-date to avoid issues. See the WY duplicate process to get an idea of what’s required as you’ll typically submit the same forms.

How to Update Your Address

You should update our address with the Wyoming Department of Transportation (DOT) when it changes. This makes things easier if you ever need to verify your driver and vehicle-related information.

The Wyoming driver information update process is available in person, by mail, or fax.

Updating your address does not reflect on your driver’s license, title, and registration. You’ll need to complete this update by replacing your license with the WY DMV. This process can be done while you’re at the DMV if you choose to update your address in person.

The process is different for each location, but this is the general routine:

  1. Find your local WY DMV office or choose an alternate method
    1. Tip: See our Wyoming hub for our DMV offices directory
  2. Show or send proof of your address change:
    1. Example: Utility bill
    2. Example: Rental/mortgage agreement
  3. Complete any forms and pay your fee

You can mail a change of address form to the Wyoming Department of Transportation, Driver Services, 5300 Bishop Blvd, Cheyenne, WY 82009. Or, fax it to 307-777-3823.

The changes only reflect on your record – you will need to request duplicates if you need physical proofs such as on your ID or title/registration.

Don’t Forget: Update Your Auto Insurance

You’ll want to update your Wyoming auto insurance as soon as you can.

The mismatched information may cause problems if you were to be pulled over. Or, needed to file an insurance claim due to accidents. Visit your insurance provider’s website to update your policy’s information.