How to Register a Car or Truck in Kansas

A young driver behind the wheel
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Want to get your car on the road in Kansas? It’s an easy process.  Getting your car or truck registered in Kansas requires you to file and submit a few different forms and fees depending on the type of vehicle. Registration is required whether you’ve purchased a new or used vehicle through a private or dealer sale. The registration process shouldn’t take longer than a few hours if you read this guide and prepare beforehand.

Your main tasks include satisfying:

  • Proof of identification
  • Registration/Title Application
  • Proof of ownership
  • Paying the taxes and fees

…plus, any applicable vehicle testing and disclosures.

In person, you will register your vehicle at a Kansas Department of Revenue treasury office. Failing to register a vehicle on time can result in late fees.

We’ve outlined the Kansas registration process, keeping it as easy as possible.

Kansas Vehicle Registration: Step-by-Step

Residents must register the vehicle within 60 days of its purchase. Dealerships will submit your documents on your behalf – though you may choose to register if desired.

You can apply for temporary registration for up to 60 days if you’re holding off its permanent registration. This requires auto insurance, car title, bill of sale, and payment like you would the normal car registration. You may only have one temporary permit per vehicle.

Don’t have the title on you? Apply for a duplicate title by submitting a TR-212a and a $1 fee.

Here is how you register a car or truck in Kansas:

  1. Go to your nearest KS tax office
  2. Provide proof of KS auto insurance
  3. Provide the vehicle information:
    1. Vehicle title, or
    2. Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin
    3. Bill of Sale
    4. Out-of-state drivers: VIN and Odometer inspection
  4. Complete and submit the Title and Registration Manual Application (TR-212a)
  5. Pay your registration fees and property taxes
    1. Passenger vehicles (under 4,500lbs): $35
    2. Passenger vehicles (over 4,500lbs): $45
    3. Property taxes: Use the calculator

You will receive our documents on the spot. Congratulations!

Moving to Kansas (Registering an Out-of-State Vehicle)

Those coming from out-of-state with a titled and purchased vehicle are required to:

  • Get a VIN inspection
  • Have KS auto insurance
  • Register within 90-days

Drivers will take their vehicles to a local motor vehicle inspection station. There, they’ll have their vehicle inspected and receive a Motor Vehicle Examination Certificate. They can then register their vehicle.

Registering the new vehicle involves:

  1. Go to the county office
  2. Show proof of insurance
  3. Submit the Motor Vehicle Examination Certificate (MVE-1)
  4. Submit the vehicle’s title:
    1. Only registered to name on the title (unless you submit a Vehicle Power of Attorney), or
    2. Vehicle’s lien documents (faxed to the county treasurer)
  5. Complete and submit the Title and Registration Manual Application
  6. Pay the registration and property taxes

The vehicle’s registration is good for one year.

Set a Reminder for Registration Renewal

You’ll want to mark your calendar or else wait to receive a renewal notice when it comes time.

You can check the exact date listed on the registration – 1 year from its registration — so keep this in mind and mark your calendar! See our KS registration renewal guide for more info when you’re ready.