Iowa Title Replacement: A Duplicate IA Car Title Guide

Drivers License
Reading Time: 2 minutes

You will file an Iowa title replacement application if something happens to your document. This could include if your title was damaged beyond legibility. Or if it were stolen or lost sometime along the way.

You’ll want to get the title in order if you ever plan to transfer ownership. This is your legal document showing you have right of the vehicle. Without it, you can’t sell it, donate it, or complete your vehicle registration or renewals – so make sure it’s safe!

If your title is nowhere to be found, then follow this guide on…

How to Replace or Get a Duplicate Iowa Title

Iowa requires you to replace a car title if lost, damaged, or stolen. You can replace your title in person at a local Iowa Department of Transportation office. Or, you can submit your duplicate title application by mail if you choose to avoid a trip to the DMV.

You’ll need to file the Application for Replacement of Iowa Certificate of Title to a Motor Vehicle (411033). You will submit this document to your county treasurer’s office and pay a $25 duplicate title fee and $5 service fee for the transaction.

Other items you may need:

  • Driver’s license or ID card
  • License plate number
  • Vehicle’s VIN, make, model, and year
  • Vehicle’s registration proof of ownership
  • Any lien details and power of attorney (if applicable)

While these items aren’t entirely necessary, you may want to have them on hand in case you need to process other items at the DMV. These documents also prove handy if you’re making corrections.

Replacing/Duplicates In-Person

Replacing a title in person requires you to:

  1. Locate your local IA DMV
  2. Show proof of ID
  3. Submit your form
    1. Note: All persons on the original title must sign the application
    2. Note #2: Lienholders will make the duplicate else submit a notarized Cancellation of Security Interest form
  4. Pay the application fee

Your Iowa title replacement request is processed on location. You must wait five days before it’s distributed due to the state’s mandatory waiting period.

Replacing/Duplicates by Mail

File Form 411033 and address a check or money order to your county treasurer’s office. Then, send the documents to the nearest office. This process is the same as doing it in person.

Need Other Services at the OK DMV?

You can use your time at the DMV to update personal information or complete other actions like an OK title transfer. Use your time efficiently by planning before going. Our other OK DMV guides share the full details on completing these actions, so your time at the DMV is frustration-free!