How to Do a Name and Address Change at a Washington State DMV?

New York Car Registration
Reading Time: 3 minutes

All residents of Washington who had a name change must inform the Department of Licensing (DOL) as soon as possible. If the name change were done legally, the DOL would provide a new document with the name change. However, before you visit the Washington DOL, you must first notify the Social Security Administration (SSD) of your change of name.

You can do this by providing the necessary documentation and completing Form SS-5 at your local Social Security office. After you have completed Form SS-5, the SSD will update your information in their system. Once that is done, you can update your Washington DOL documents.

Visiting the SSD for a Name Change

After changing your name legally, you should inform the SSD of your name change. To proceed with the process at the SSD office, you must provide the following:

Your Identity Documents:

  • Driver’s license
  • State ID card
  • Passport

Lawful Presence Documents

  • Birth certificate
  • S. citizenship certificate
  • Work Authorization

Name Change Proof Documents

  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce Decree
  • Court documents

You can submit these documents in person or by mail.

Visiting the Washington DOL for a Name Change

Now that you have informed the SSD office of your name change, you can not visit the DOL to submit your name change documents. If you own a car and would like to get a title replacement or registration, you can do it simultaneously. You will have the option to get a new Washington driver’s license or state ID.

Driver’s License or State ID for a Name Change

When you visit the nearest Washington DOL office, you must provide the following:

  • Proof of identity with your new name
    • Marriage certificate
    • Divorce Decree
    • Court documents
  • Pay the fee

The process can only be done in person at a Washington DOL.

Name change for a Car Title and Registration

While at the DOL, you can apply for your car title and registration with your new name. To change your name on your car title and registration, you must:

You can also submit the documents by mail at:

Refunds and Title Services

Department of Licensing

P.O. Box 9043

Olympia, WA 98507

Name change Fees at the Washington DOL

The Washington DOL charges a fee for a changed name for driver’s license or state ID. Also, for a car title and registration related to a changed name. You will pay:

  • Driver’s license or ID fee: $10
  • Title certificate
    • Regular: click here
    • Quick title: $81

Change Address at the Washington DOL

You can change your address while you apply for a changed name at the DOL. However, a change of address can be done online, in person, or by mail.


You can create an account on the Washington DOL website if you haven’t done so before. Once you have an account, you can log into it and change your address.

By Mail

You can complete the Driver License Change of Address Form and mail it to the DOL. Your information will then be updated.

In Person

You can change your address when you visit the DOL to change your name.

Vehicle Registration and Title Address Change

You have the option to change your address online or in person. If you have an account, you can change your address by login in and input the information. Once you visit the DOL, you can update your address at the title office.

Change Address Fees at the DOL

Changing your address at the DOL will cost you. The cost will be the same for a state ID or a driver’s license. You will pay:

  • ID card: $20
  • Driver’s license: $20
  • Registration fee: $5
  • Title fee: $12


Changing your address at the DOL is not a difficult process. All you need to do is complete the necessary paperwork and pay the fee to update your records. Don’t forget to bring proof of your new address so that it can be verified with your application. Once everything has been completed, you should receive your new driver’s license or state ID in the mail within 30 days. Good luck!