Other Registrations in New York: Motorcycles, Boats, and More

Other New York Vehicle Registrations
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Suppose you want to roam New York but in something other than a car or truck. Maybe it’s in a boat or maybe an off-road vehicle. An ATV sounds fun, does it not? What about a motorcycle or moped?

Boats, motorcycles, and special vehicles require registration in New York State. Follow each section to get them legal for the roads (or lack thereof).

Motorcycle Registration

Motorcycles follow a process like car registration. The New York DMV recommends you take a trip down to a local DMV office with the seller to smooth the title transfer and registration.

Registering a motorcycle in Texas requires:

  1. Get motorcycle insurance
  2. Have your motorcycle license
  3. Complete a:
    1. Vehicle Registration/Title Application (MV-82)
    2. Bill of Sale (MV-912)
    3. Statement of Transaction (DTF-802)
  4. Complete the Application for Texas Title and/or Registration
  5. Pay the $17.50 registration fee and other taxes/fees

Dealerships will provide the state with the cycle’s title. Else, complete a title transfer, get the bill of sale, and pay fees when registering the motorcycle from a sale. Out-of-state motorcyclists will provide their registration and plate details – but largely follow the same process.

ATV Registration

You’re free to use an off-road vehicle on your property or when taking it somewhere out of state. But, the small registration price is minuscule – and gives you a lot more freedom if you decide to ride.

Here’s what you’ll need:

  1. Proof of ID
  2. Proof of Ownership or applicable items:
    1. Out-of-state title/registration
    2. Certificate of Sale (MV-51) for used sales
    3. Statement of Ownership (MV-51B) if unregistered and lacks documents
  3. A bill of sale
  4. Sales tax payment
  5. Pay a $12.50 registration fee
  6. Pay a $12.50 plate fee

You must get insurance if you decide to take an off-road vehicle (ATV) in public.

Boat Registration

New York State requires title registrations for partial or full motor boats made in 1987 or later, 14ft or longer, and registered in NY. Small vessels like canoes and kayaks are exempt from title registrations.

What you’ll need

  1. Boat Registration/Title Application (MV-82B)
  2. Proof of ownership
    1. Bill of sale
    2. Notice of Lien (MV-900)
    3. Dealer: Proof of paid sales tax
    4. Private: Statement of Transaction (DTF-802)
  3. Proof of ID
  4. Title/registration fees

You’ll file these items and pay fees at your local NY DMV.

Trailer Registration

Trailer registration depends on its weight and type:

  • Proof of ID
  • Under 1,000lbs: VIN (MV-272) form
  • Over 1,000lbs: VIN (MV-272) + insurance
  • Vehicle Registration/Title Application (MV-82)
  • DTF-803 or FS-6T for taxes
  • Payment

Show these, pay the fees, and you’re all set for hauling that trailer!