Connecticut Title Transfer: The Step-by-Step Process

Reading Time: 3 minutes

The Department of Motor Vehicles in Connecticut requires vehicles up to 20 years old to have a certificate of title. A title demonstrates ownership and is used as proof during a sale or for donation.Cars older than 20 years do not need a certificate of title.

Title Transfer

Transferring a title can be the result of different circumstances. For example,

  • If you move to Connecticut and have a vehicle, you must register and title it with the CT DMV.
  • Buying a car for a dealer or private seller
  • Donating or gifting a motor vehicle

A New Resident of Connecticut

If you decide to live in Connecticut and you have a car, you have up to 60 days to register and title it with the DMV. To do so, you must provide some documents required by law. So, here is a list of papers you must provide when you visit the DMV:

  •  The title with your name
  • A completed Form H-13B, Application for Registration and Certificate of Title
  • Identification (driver’s license, ID card, or passport)
  • Proof of emissions test(only required for vehicles from 2014 and older)
    • Newer cars must have evidence of a VIN inspection
  • Pay the $25 fee for the title certificate

Purchasing a Vehicle

Buying from a Dealership

Once you are buying from a dealer, the dealer forwards the documents to the DMV for registration and title. If all the papers are correct and there is no lien on the vehicle, the title and registration are mailed to the buyer.

Buying from a Private Seller

When you buy from a private seller, you and the seller must provide the documents. The seller must give a correctly assigned title and a bill of sale. A bill of sale is theH-31 form. If you prefer to provide the bill of sale, then you must include a document containing:

  • Name and address of the seller
  • Name and address of the buyer
  • Date of sale and sale price
  • Vehicle description (make, model, year, and color)
  • VIN number
  • Seller’s signature

Selling a Vehicle

Before you put your vehicle for sale, make sure you have the title. If you do not have a title, apply for a replacement title or also known as a Duplicate Vehicle Title. You can complete Form H-6B and provide it to the buyer instead of the title only if the buyer is a Connecticut resident. Otherwise, you must obtain the title before selling.

Once the sale is completed, remove the plates and return it to the DMV. Also, return the registration certificate. Once the registration is canceled,go ahead and cancel the insurance as well.

Now, provide the buyer with the title or a bill of sale (Form H-31). You may also submit your bill of sale that includes:

  • Name and address of the seller
  • Name and address of the buyer
  • Date of sale and sale price
  • Vehicle description (make, model, year, and color)
  • VIN number
  • Your signature

Donating or Gifting a Vehicle

Donated Vehicles

To give your vehicle to charity, sign the name of the organization behind the title certificate. Just like selling a car, you must remove the plates and return it to the DMV. Also, submit the registration card and cancel the insurance only after the registration has been canceled.

Gifting a Vehicle

Before you decide to gift a vehicle, know who you can gift it to.For example, you may gift your vehicle to you:

  • Mother or father
  • Husband or wife
  • Daughter or son
  • Sister or brother
  • Civil partner

To gift the vehicle, complete the title transfer as mention above. The title must be correctly assigned to the new owner, submit completed Form H-13B and Form AU-463, proper identification, and $25 fee.

Once you can complete the process according to your title transfer, expect to receive the new title in the mail. Here is a breakdown of fees you are likely to pay during the process:

  • Title fee: $25
  • Duplicate title fee: $10
  • Title record copy search: $20
  • Emissions test fee: $20
  • VIN inspection fee: $10

To pay any fee, DMV accepts many forms of payment. So, you may pay by cash, check, money order, credit card, or debit card.