Replacing a Lost Title in Florida: How to Get a Florida Duplicate Title?

Replacing Florida Car Title

There’s not much you can do with a car without its title, including selling, trading, or using it as part of a loan application.

Florida requires you to replace a car title if lost, damaged, or stolen.

You can get a duplicate title a few ways in Florida, this article will share how it’s done.

What You’ll Need to Replace a Car’s Title in Florida

Florida lets you replace the title in person at a local FLHSMV office, or county tax collector’s office. Or, through electronic means and submitting documents by mail.

You’ll need the following:

  • Proof of ID
  • Odometer disclosure
  • Any documents pertaining to lienholders
  • Application for Duplicate or List in Transit/Reassignment for a Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home, or Vessel Title Certificate (HSMV 82101)

You will then submit a $75.25 title fee when processing the replacement request. This fee may increase to $77.25 for new cars. Or, cost upward of $85.25 if the car was registered out-of-state. Expedited title services are available for $10 more.

The replacement process shouldn’t take longer than 5 days.

Replacing/Duplicates via Online

Replacing or requesting a duplicate title is available through the FL DHSMV website.

The online portal offers the fastest way to obtain titles. The site uses an e-title platform to settle title liens and mail them once the transaction completes. You will receive an electronic copy of your vehicle’s title.

Replacing/Duplicates In-Person

Replacing a title in person requires you to:

  1. Locate your local DMV office
  2. Bring the necessary documents and application
  3. Pay the fee (check, cash, card)

Replacing/Duplicates by Mail

Replacement and duplicate titles are available through the mail.

Provide the HSMV 82101 application, proof of ID, lien information, payment (addressed to the local tax office), and odometer disclosure. You may want to call your local FLDHSMV verifying you have the necessary paperwork.

Title Updates

Now is a good time to consider updating personal information such as your address. You will fill the HSMV 82101 application accordingly with these changes. Provide updated proof of ID, utility bill, or insurance information to finish the changes.